Monday, April 20, 2015

Q is for Quinoa Fried Rice

The first time I tried quinoa, I hated it. HATED it. 

A couple of years ago, I participated in a Pinterest Challenge by Anna Hartman from In The Next 30 Days. She challenged bloggers to make a recipe or project from one of our "eleventy-billion" Pinterest pins that we've pinned but not made. I gave a recipe for Crispy Quinoa Bake a try and it was not good. Not good at all. I hated the texture. I hated the recipe itself (bland and uninteresting). 

In spite of my (some say) picky eating habits, I decided to give quinoa another try last year and actually found a couple of recipes that we not only like, we LOVE: black bean and quinoa enchilada bake and little quinoa patties that taste like little crab cakes. 

For the A to Z Challenge, I decided to search through Pinterest and try to find a quinoa recipe to add to our little bitty repertoire of quinoa recipes (all two of them). 

I ran across this one:



Found on cookingforkeeps.com

We like fried rice, so it seemed like a sure winner.

It wasn't.

Know what happens if you stir-fry quinoa like you would rice?

You get a big, gummy glob of quinoa that tastes like fried rice.

Because quinoa is much more fragile than rice is. 

I'd show you, but I forgot to take any pictures.


If you were watching your carbs and had a craving for gummy fried rice, then I guess I'd tell you to go ahead and give it a try, but otherwise, just make rice. 

Trust me.


7 comments:

  1. Quinoa is not high on my list of favorite things. I like it as a base grain for grilled veggies or in a salad with other stuff - lots of other stuff. But what else begins with Q? Quesadilla maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a kind of funky flavor if you eat it plain. And it's TOTALLY a given for Q when you're doing a Pinterest (or other food) post. I really love the little patties I make with it. You should give that one a try!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I like it in two recipes out of 43,297 ways that are on Pinterest.

      Delete
  3. damn… not just recipes but actual food groups that I've never heard of …I am so out my culinary league!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only time I have used quinoa was as a rice substitute but in stuffed peppers. It turned out okay that way, but it had nuts, onions, raisins and spices in it too.

    ReplyDelete