Monday, April 13, 2015

K is for Kazoo

Today's Pinterest project for my A to Z Challenge stars my Pre-K class. I'll cut right to the chase.

Here's the Pinterest pin:




The supply list was easy. One toilet paper tube per child. Wax paper. Rubber bands. 

I didn't tell the kids what we were making. Okay, I DID tell them they were making kazoos; I just didn't tell them what a kazoo WAS. They didn't care WHAT they were making; they only cared that I let them use markers to decorate toilet paper tubes, and it wasn't even raining! (Note: I only let them use markers when it's raining outside, because they're so freaking messy.)




After the kids had finished decorating the outside of the toilet paper tubes to their satisfaction, I put a square of wax paper over the end and secured it with a rubber band. 




And then we hummed into them.





Music to my ears!

And another PINTEREST WIN!

p.s. I tried to teach them Minuet in G, like they used in the Think Method in The Music Man, but it would have taken weeks, which I didn't have. Fall back song.



32 comments:

  1. That is awesome. You are an awesome preschool teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun for you and the kids. Totally impressed with the video. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a real, honest-to-goodness video of them playing, but there was no way to obscure their faces, so I had to go with the still shot and audio.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, McClure family! Love the red headed bookends in the class picture!

      Delete
  4. SO making one of these this week!!! My dad was The Music Man in high school. My grandmother used to try to get him to sing 76 Trombones all the time when I was a kid. I also remember how she thought Robert Preston as the ideally handsome man. Not my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so fun! Both your kids would love it! I am a huge, HUGE fan of The Music Man. I employed the Think System when I first got my cancer diagnosis and fully believe it helped me through the whole thing. Robert Preston was not my taste, either :)

      Delete
  5. omg that's so cute I can't stand it! What little sweeties. You're a great teacher, Dyanne. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never told me you use the Suzuki method! That's a great performance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BIG departure from Japanese Bagel Head! Loved all these activities when my son was small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm well-rounded, Maria! It was such a fun and easy project to do with the kiddos at preschool.

      Delete
  8. Awesome! Thanks so much, will share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh that is so cool - and they are adorable - another win

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and your orchestra are awesome! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The next New York Philharmonic! I love when I see teachers using those kind of creative, hands-on activities with young children. I bet they were proud of their little orchestra. Alana - ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told all of them as they walked out the door that morning to make sure they played their kazoos in the car alllll the way home :)

      Delete
  12. WOOHOO! How soothing and musical! I loved it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my favorite part was the end when the whole melody kind of fell apart.

      Delete
  13. kazoos are often called, 'the carrot peeler of the orchestra'*

    no, I have no idea, whatsoever what that means… kazoos are legal to play, right? (well, of rouse they are, your entire class was playing… nicely together (rhythmically speaking)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you're going to be making one of these and playing it on the next video chat.

      Delete
  14. Fantastic! Great use of K and marker pens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so excited to get to use their markers that the fact that they made something that made noise was an added bonus!

      Delete
  15. adorable - I could not wait to see your K awesome another win!

    ReplyDelete