Friday, April 17, 2015

O is for Overnight Oatmeal

I like oatmeal. Not that nasty instant stuff; the real kind, made on the stove (you know, my stove with the sparkling clean burners). With raisins. And cinnamon. And a little brown sugar. Basically, a warm oatmeal cookie in bowl that you eat with a spoon.

I can make a nice bowl of oatmeal in about ten minutes, start to finish, and that includes walking down the stairs to the kitchen. So why am I going to make oatmeal that takes 8-9 hours to cook? Because I saw it on Pinterest, that's why!



Found on bestfoodpins.com
The instructions were right on the pin. I did peel the apples before throwing them in, because I envisioned the peel sloughing off into the oatmeal and that was gross.



Apples, brown sugar and cinnamon



Oatmeal and water added.

The crockpot is on low. And now we wait....

...Good morning! Time for breakfast!

Taking the lid off the crockpot. Hmmm.


Gave it a good stir to get all the ingredients emulsified.
It's...gluey.


This does not look like the Pinterest pin.
It also does not taste like I would expect from the Pinterest pin.
A little blah. A lot gluey.


Added a little more brown sugar. And raisins.
And a splash of milk to loosen it up a bit.

I was never one of those kids who ate the paste in kindergarten,
but now I believe I have a pretty good idea what it would have been like.
This is my just-rolled-out-of-bed, no-make-up look, punctuated by
the gluey, gloppy oatmeal face. Lovely, huh?

By the time I added the additional brown sugar (which was a mistake, as I found a pocket of brown sugar in my bowl that didn't get mixed up with the rest of the paste oatmeal in the bowl), raisins and milk, it took me about ten minutes.

Which is how long it takes me to make it in a pan on the stove and still have individual oats in the oatmeal.

Pinterest faaaaail!

18 comments:

  1. Thank you. That answers that for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you LIKE the texture of institutional oatmeal, then this is for you. The apples were good!

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I always wondered why people made oatmeal overnight. Besides the fact oatmeal doesn't take that long, now you have to clean the blasted crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanna know the funny part about this? My HUSBAND cleaned the crock pot, because he had the day off from work that day, and I had to leave for school. He ate it AND LIKED IT and washed the crock pot.

      Delete
  3. The kids who ate the paste were probably the ones whose mothers made oatmeal in the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh man this didn't work...I made it a couple of times and it worked for us - I do it when there are overnighters and I really want them out LOL - did you spray the crock-pot with non-stick spray that is what I did. in the morning I had it all set up bowls, spoons, a bowl of extra brown sugar, and warm milk too.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I thought about spraying the crock pot, but it didn't say to do so in the instructions, so I didn't. It was nice to have the apples slow cook in the crock pot, but it was just too much cooking for the poor oats. I'll definitely have to remember this trick if I want company to leave :)

      Delete
  5. My mom used to have oatmeal going in a huge pot every morning before school. 8 kids. Too bad this didnt work but im with you why bother when its ten min on stovetop? Unless you dont wanna take a chance at messing up your nice clean burners of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even use the quick cook kind of oatmeal, and it still doesn't take very long to make it.
      And the oatmeal rarely boils over, but cream of wheat? Every. Time. And it's like it's been forged onto the outside of the pan and the burner when it happens.

      Delete
  6. We tried crockpot overnight French toast from Pinterest. Epic fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an eggy, gooey mess. Making a mental note never to try that!

      Delete
  7. not a fan of oatmeal, but do remember Saturday morning commercial for Maypo

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La1LLDVQ1e8

    (god! were we such simple children to be sold to so easily?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the "I want my Maypo" commercials, but they were a wee little bit newer than that one! Remember cool prizes in cereal? I still have a tiddly wink game I got from a box of Trix.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure I understand the crockpot thing in general anyway - most of the recipes I've seen are, like this oatmeal, for things you can do on stove or in oven in just a short while anyway. What's the difference between throwing stuff in the pot for 8 hours or in the oven for 1? But Very Funny blog and a great A-to-Z theme!
    Oh, and your hair looks fantastic for just having rolled out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to use the crock pot for main dish kinds of things sometimes. It's nice to throw stuff in there and after work, it's all nice and done and delicious. But oatmeal? That's just lazy!
      And thank you so much for your kind words! My hair looked okay because I had straightened it the day before. If I'd left it curly, there probably wouldn't be a picture of me on here eating oatmeal!

      Delete
  9. I'm with you. I love a good bowl of real oatmeal. It doesn't take that long to prepare. Once I tried to make an overnight pumpkin oatmeal in the crock pot, and it got too hot (my crock pot has a mind of its own). Had I not gotten up in the night and checked on it, I would have had a burned disaster waiting for me in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was pumpkin oatmeal? I like pumpkin. I can see where that might be pretty good, except for the burned in the crock pot part :)

      Delete