Monday, April 4, 2022

C is for Cheetos Carnage

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter


Sometimes, scrolling through Pinterest for recipes can bring up absolute gems. 

Other times, you find Cheetos Cookies.

And you make them. Because how can you not?

The story goes that some restaurant in the LA area started making Cheetos cookies as a novelty (oh, those quirky Californians), so after trying it, the OP decided to recreate them. More power to her for trying them in the first place and actually liking them enough to do this. Then I remembered  the summer we had 17 year locusts and an ice cream shop made locust ice cream and it reinforced that it is okay to ask yourself "Why?" and move on.

I didn't move on.

Ingredients assembled,


I bought a huge bag of Cheetos. Party sized, in fact. This turned out not to be necessary, but I will get to that. Bottom line, however, is that I never read a recipe all the way through before plunging in, so party sized it is. The first task was to measure out four cups and turn them into Cheeto powder in a food processor. First off, it is NOT possible to get an accurate volume measurement of Cheetos, because they do not lend themselves to fitting neatly into a measuring cup. I had to ballpark it. Half of the pulverized Cheetos is added to the dry ingredients. The butter, shortening, and eggs are creamed, orange food coloring is suggested to enhance the color (I did it, but I don't know that it was necessary, but when you get right down to it, NONE of this recipe was necessary). 

Pulverized Cheetos. Same color
inside and out!


The dough.


After everything was stirred together, I tasted the dough. My theory is that a cookie is only as good as the dough, and I was pleasantly surprised that THIS dough tasted fine. Not Cheeto-ish at all. The dough is rolled into balls and these balls are then rolled in the remaining crushed Cheetos and refrigerated for an hour before baking.


Pre-dip dough ball


Post-dipped dough ball


Kind of a messy process

While I was waiting on the dough to chill, I munched on Cheetos. When I was in elementary and junior high school, I enjoyed going to my friend Liz's house to spend the night, and when I did, her mom always went to Milgrim's Supermarket and bought an ENORMOUS bag of store brand Cheetos just for me. They were much like cheese flavored styrofoam and I thought they were delicious (my mom didn't shop at Milgrim's - she was an A&P person and besides, she was busy buying Club crackers). I still had half a bag of Cheetos by this time, so I did a little extra Pinterest searching and found a recipe for Candied Cheetos: boil corn syrup, butter, and brown sugar together. Pour over the Cheetos. Bake for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. 


Well, they're better than the cookies


Finished products


Bottom line on repurposing Cheetos to make them sweet?

Just don't.

The cookies were nothing but weird. Cheesy Cheetos crumbs on the outside of a cookie is weird and the juxtaposition of the salty cheese with a sweet cookie was gross. Taste Tester Julie only ate one bite, and she eats pretty much anything.

The Candied Cheetos were weird, but not AS weird as the cookies. The cheesy taste was fairly non-existent when smothered with the caramel coating, but again, just don't. Make caramel popcorn instead and save the Cheetos for sleepovers with your friends!


   


27 comments:

  1. I was hoping for a happy ending. Thanks for the warning. Although, chocolate covered Frito-lays is where the money is at. A co-worker always brings them when she visits her parents in Ohio. It's a thing up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can sure find some strange recipes. I wonder what D will bring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cheetos and their ilk and I'll be back for more off-beat weirdness

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very strange. I'd never heard of it, and I'm from California :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to guess it was a short-lived fad and in only one bakery!

      Delete
  5. I live in L.A. and have never heard of these cookies. Not particularly anxious to eat them either. When I was a kid I used to like Cheetos far more than I do now. But every once in a while I get a craving for Cheetos that usually ends soon after I've started eating them.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in LA when I was first married. Worked in Burbank. Saw some odd things, but never these! I do prefer cheap, slightly styrofoamy knock-off Cheetos better than the real thing, but I try not to eat any of them very often. ps the cookies I miss from LA are the raspberry macaroons from Canter's Deli!

      Delete
  6. I winder how these would be with the spicy hot Cheetos? Heat and sweet often go well together.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are so many easier ways to make cookies. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The orange food coloring does seem like an unnecessary addition to the recipe. Definitely not queuing this one up anytime soon although if forced I'd go with the smothered in caramel option. You can't go wrong with caramel. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caramel can fix most things! It was a fun experiment, anyway :)

      Delete
  9. Hahaha what an experiment. I fainted hearing Cheetos cookies . U took all pain to make them. Wow....i know some frnds who experiment like this. Not sure who actually liked them..reminds me of a pre school song. Do u like brocolli yes.yes. do u like icecream..yes. yes. Do u like brocolli icecream?! Answer: yeww..yucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard that song before. That's hilarious! The cookies were a novelty but I sure won't be making them again!

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you experimented just so we could read about it and see your photos. I'm visiting from A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa! I took one for the team on this one. No one else has to wonder!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like an interesting but bizarre cookie choice! I think I will stick with Cheetos (although I like the white cheese puffs better than the orange).
    Visiting from A to Z https://fromcavewalls.Wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White cheese puffs are soooo less messy! Bought a little bag of white cheese and black pepper cheese puffs from Trader Joe's the other day and gobbled them up! Thanks for visiting, Maggie!

      Delete
  12. I think I'll skip the Cheetos recipe and just go with eating them straight from the bag :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your service. Duly noted. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. While I never buy them... I'll always sample if they are around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't buy them because I EAT them all! Crush them and make a cookie out of them and it turns out I don't eat them after all :)

      Delete