Tuesday, April 23, 2024

T is for Time To Bring These Beauties Out Of The Closet....

 

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter T

I am in the process of sorting through everything in my parents' home, and in so doing, I have been looking through all my childhood memorabilia, the majority of which I hadn't seen since my parents packed up my belongings and moved them from the home I grew up in to this house some 45 years ago. My 2024 A to Z Challenge theme is based on the treasures I have found in the boxes and the drawers and closets. Join me on my bittersweet journey back to my childhood.

I have a friend who has been waiting for the other shoe to drop ever since I posted the link for "C is for Communication, 70s Style" on my Facebook page. She made this innocent comment:



I shall call this friend (and former roommate) Regina Flange. This is a photo essay showing what happens when:

a) you are really bad at blackjack
b) you are really bad at drinking games
c) you are really bad at drinking at all
d) the others playing the drinking game are aware of all of the above and cheat while you are in the bathroom with your cards unprotected, causing you to take yet another drink

A word about the room pictured. This was a furnished, two-bedroom apartment that we had recently moved into after moving out of the dorm. It had bright green variegated shag carpet (unfortunately not pictured) that totally clashed with absolutely anything else in the universe looked fab with the plaid tweed sofa in shades of brown. We moved in as the frat boys who lived there previously were moving out (and yes, that means it didn't get cleaned before we moved in), and as the guys were carrying out the last of their stuff, one of them said, "Whoever gets the bedroom on the right, just wanted to let you know the bed squeaks." Then he laughed himself out of the apartment. We did have fun living there (we lasted 6 months before finding better digs). We tried to cook, only setting fire to the kitchen once. We got scared when we had a mouse and had to run to the landlord's apartment to save us from whatever we thought a mouse was going to do to us. We temporarily adopted a stray cat who my parents then adopted and enjoyed for many years. We played lots of gin rummy. One of us spilled red nail polish on the bright green shag carpet, so when we moved, we put a chair over it and never had to pay for the damage. And we had exactly one evening of wild partying (it was soooo not wild).


These were taken B.B. (before blackjack)

D.B. (during blackjack and I was fake drinking)

D.B. real drinking

 
A.B. Guess which one of us lost the drinking game?

Oh, to be 18 again and in your first apartment!


5 comments:

  1. Another way to get rid of the red nail polish on that carpet would have been to just cut down the red parts. I've taken care of a few spills on shag carpet that way. Nobody ever notices the difference. That green shag carpeting is one thing I can't imagine ever coming back in style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to be 18 again with good knees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful ... Going over them all must be surely nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "only setting fire to the kitchen once"--I imagine there might be a story there!

    ReplyDelete