Thursday, April 18, 2024

P is for Picture Perfect

 

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter P

I am in the process of sorting through everything in my parents' home, and in so doing, I have been looking through all my childhood memorabilia, the majority of which I hadn't seen since my parents packed up my belongings and moved them from the home I grew up in to this house some 45 years ago. My 2024 A to Z Challenge theme is based on the treasures I have found in the boxes and the drawers and closets. Join me on my bittersweet journey back to my childhood.

There were very few formal studio photos taken of me and my brother as kids, but I found two sets in the closet that are pretty perfect.*

Example 1 is from 1962. I was two years old; my brother was five:


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

These photos were taken in 1973 or 1974, and I only know this because I remember having that dress in 8th grade, since I have ZERO independent recollection of having the photos done. They might have been taken during a session for a new pictorial directory at our church. I was 13 years old, and my brother was 16 or 17:


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Approximately ten years later, in 1983, my brother and I had this photo taken as a gift for our parents. 


Could we have BEEN more 1983?! I'm wearing what was my favorite blouse and sporting a Pat Benetar-esque bi-level haircut. And yes, we color coordinated on purpose. My mom loved it, and it has been hanging in my parents' bedroom ever since.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

So then who the damn hell are these two old people, anyway?



Ahhh, pretty as a picture!

*photo scanning cred to Nikki, because she will only read blog posts if she is in them

2 comments:

  1. Old non-digital photos have a charm of their own, don't they? Nice pictures. I too remember the days when we used to go a studio to get our photos taken. It used one long task in those days!

    ReplyDelete