Wednesday, April 5, 2023

D is for Dimples

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter D


Growing up, I HATED having dimples, especially on school picture day. The photographer was always relentless with nicknames for kids (I'd like to think it was just to get a smile out of them, but honestly, I think they were just sadistic), and I wanted to cry when I sat on that stool with a guy shouting, "Give me a big smile, Dimples! Do you poke your cheeks with a pencil to get those dimples, honey?"

I was shy and mortified by the attention to something I couldn't do anything about, but I was also a rule follower, so I dutifully smiled for my pictures (except the year my hamster died the night before when I had a very sad, very weak smile and my bangs were in my eyes because I was growing them out and refused to let my mom trim them for picture day).

Then I got older and it sunk in on my that my mom said HER mom had dimples. And my mom had dimples. And I have dimples. And my kids have dimples. And then they don't seem so bad.

Me at 2


First grade school photo

We asked my mom to flash her gang sign.

With my mini me


And he has them, too!


12 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm glad you came to like them. One of my daughters has dimples and my mother had them. My sister might. I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dimples, and yours are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always want what we don't have, or don't want what we do have. Either way, we usually grow to realize we have it pretty good.

    You are a very good-looking family, especially the dimples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some cultures think dimples are a thing of beauty and lucky charm as well.
    Lovely photos.
    D for Dry ice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have always been envious of my dimples, and I like them NOW, but I sure hated them as a child!

      Delete
  5. It's fun to see family similarities through the generations!

    ReplyDelete