Sunday, November 27, 2022

It's Always Thanksgiving, There Just Isn't Always Pie

At the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop, we know that Thanksgiving isn't the only time to count your thankfuls. We do it weekly, ten at a time, because being thankful should be a year 'round activity. Here are mine for this week:

We spent last weekend at the lake house with my dad and my daughter and her cat. It was a pleasant, relaxing time.

Two day work week, baby!

I got cookies, pies, caramel popcorn, and Chex mix baked and cranberry salad made before we headed to Kansas City for a family Thanksgiving at my brother and sister in law's home, and I didn't forget any of it on our kitchen counter.

I'm not sure why I made this assumption, but I assumed my niece, who lives in South Carolina, wasn't going to be able to come for Thanksgiving. I was delighted when she came outside to greet us! 

My niece Amy and daughter, playing with Calvin.

After a delicious Thanksgiving meal (that was served at precisely 2:00 as per my brother's spreadsheet), my husband, daughter, and I attended the lighting ceremony at the Country Club Plaza again. It was warmer this year than it was last year, which makes this a double thankful!

Plaza Light Ceremony




My brother got the idea for a family field trip on Friday morning. The only good sports were my brother, niece, husband, and me, but it was WORTH IT. He took us to Moon Marble Company in Bonner Springs, Kansas, a store with a mixture of traditional toys, art glass, and marbles, It gets better. They MAKE MARBLES there. With melted glass and a flame and other magical things, and we were lucky enough to be there when Bruce Breslow, the owner, did his first marble making demonstration since Covid. Fascinating process, plus Breslow is not only a master marble maker but a master entertainer as well. I highly recommend the place if you happen to be in the Kansas City area. 

Bruce Breslow making a marble

People come and go from our lives all the time, but special ones leave a hole in your heart when they go. Back when my kids were preschoolers, I had a friend that I met at an organization for stay at home moms. Tiffany and I became close friends during those years, and when her husband was transferred to another state, I was devastated. They moved several times over the next few years, ending up in Kansas City, then good ol' Facebook became a thing and we were able to keep in better contact. In the meantime, our kids grew to be adults and Tiffany (no longer with the husband and a boss single mom who also worked full time AND got her doctorate) decided to make a big move to Florida two years ago. Once again thanks to social media (Be Real this time), we found out we were both in Kansas City for the holiday, and we spent several hours Saturday evening talking and laughing and catching up. It did my soul good.

Me and Tiffany, Boulevard Brewing Company


I've gained a few pounds this fall, which I am NOT thankful for, but it means that we have plenty to eat.

I talk about attending church at Community Christian Church when we are in Kansas City and how much I love it. I only get to attend in person once every couple of months, but I religiously (no pun intended) attend on-line church when I'm not able to be there. After 15 months of attending either in person or on-line, I received an email from the associate pastor asking if we would like to join the church. Yes, please!  Today, we were welcomed to membership in the church, and I feel so very blessed to be official members of the church family. Thank you, Rev. Ryan, for making us feel so welcome since the first day we walked in the door!

After a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, my husband and I are back home, where we were greeted by three very cranky cats who did not think it was very Thanksgiving of us to leave them for five days with nothing but dry cat food. They have now been compensated with canned food and all is right in their world.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday and that you remember that Thanksgiving is with us every day of the year, just not always accompanied by turkey and pie.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful time, i'm so glad for you, especially the visit and the church!

    ReplyDelete