Sunday, January 10, 2016

Thankfuls In The Nick of Time

I really don't like this habit I've fallen into of waiting until the last minute to post my Ten Things of Thankful for the week. That being said, here's my last-minute entry in the Ten Things of Thankful: 

1. It was back to school post-Christmas vacation, and it's tough to go back after two weeks off, but the Supreme Ruler of the School Calendar saw fit to have the semester start on Tuesday rather than Monday, so FOUR DAY WORK WEEK, GUYS!

2. I gained maybe three pounds over the break, but by Thursday, they were gone. YESSSS!

3. I made spaghetti squash for the second time ever. The first time was probably 25 years ago, and I microwaved it and tried to eat it with marinara sauce and it was gross. THIS time, I cut it in half, brushed it with olive oil and added salt and pepper, then baked it, cut-side down, in a 400 degree oven for at least half an hour. I served it with sauteed chicken breasts and marinara sauce and it was DELICIOUS.

4. I got a zoodle maker for Christmas and gave it a try this week as well. Actually, it's called a Veggetti. I zoodled three zucchini and three carrots. The bad news is they cook down to nothing, so that wasn't nearly enough produce, but it tasted pretty good (I stir-fried it) and the effort required to twist those veggies in the Veggetti will eventually give me fabulously toned arms. Remind me to invite you to the gun show.




5. Ruby is very naughty, and her new favorite thing to do is hop up onto the fireplace mantel via a wing-backed chair. It's disconcerting to walk in the room and realize she's sitting up there, but I lurrrrrrrve her so! 




6. The College Boy and I went out to lunch together and shared a piece of pie. Chocolate covered cherry pie. I could have eaten a whole piece by myself, it was so good, but I didn't because I shouldn't. Yay for self-control!

7. Emma went to a theater conference in Kansas City from Thursday through Saturday with other members of the theater troupe from her school and had, according to her, the time of her life. She learned to salsa dance, to swing dance, got chosen to star in a short film, made new friends, and then came home and recounted every detail to me. I feel sorry for parents whose kids don't tell them anything.

8. We got our first snow on Saturday. Ordinarily, I only want it to snow if it will net me a snow day, but this was nice, as there were giant, wet snowflakes falling from the sky and clinging to the trees, yet it didn't stick to the streets, and it was all melted by evening.

9. In honor of the first snow, I did absolutely NOTHING all day Saturday. Okay, nothing except bake chocolate chip cookies and make a batch of fudge and clean out the litter box and fix dinner (totally against my will). The rest of the day, Ruby and I did this:




10. While in the car today, my husband and I spent an hour or so deciding what we were going to do when we won the Powerball money. It was a lot of fun to mull over where we would want to travel and to what charities we would make donations and how much we would give to our family members. We're ready, willing and waiting should they draw our Powerball ticket!

Bonus thankful to my co-hosts in the TToT for taking care of a problem in the linky thing so there is no longer a problem. I glazed over as soon as they started talking about code.

It's not to late to link up your post. Really.



Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

19 comments:

  1. True. It's not too late. Link up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, how am I not FRIST??? :D
    I was in a last-minute-on-Sunday pattern for a while. I hated it, too.
    I also got a veggie thingie for Christmas - my sister gave me the Mueller. It's scary. But I'm really excited to use it! I have a whole bunch of beets waiting to be spiralized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi beat you so she could point out that I forgot to link myself up :)
      I think if I really get into the spiralization of vegetables, I will want the fancier one, because this one is hard on the arms.
      How do you fix beets? I mostly eat them pickled, which I love, and I have eaten Harvard beets, too, though I've never made them.

      Delete
  3. i just did that; linked in this week... I love lazy days..today was one of them for all of us ...the vegghetti looks neat, i got to look for one. i too have a plan if I win the powerball oh do i have a plan LOL
    teddy is a bad boy too...its that he is so freaking cute and lately he sits in my spot on the couch and if i move him he attacks me it's hysterical he jumps on the couch next to me and pulls on my sleeve. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to split the $1 billion Powerball with you if we both pick the same numbers.
      Oh, our indulged pets!

      Delete
  4. Miss Kitty has recently taken up chewing on the Christmas Tree. The new 'flocked by some poor Chinese worker with no regard to their health' flocked artificial Christmas Tree. Miss Kitty and I are having a battle of wills over this Christmas tree that should probably be already put away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two older cats chew on the Christmas tree. Every year. Then they yarf it up. Every year. Wouldn't you think they would learn cause and effect by now? And I tried spraying it with bitter orange and it did not deter them one bit. Good luck with Miss Kitty, and for Pete's sake, take the tree down!

      Delete
  5. #8 the only kind of snow storm/snow event/flurries/blizzard or whatever you choose to call it… fall from the sky. look different. melt
    perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless it garners me a snow day, then it was a perfect snow.

      Delete
  6. I just can't be a cat person. Or a dog person. Animals in my house would make me crazy. There. I said it.
    A vegghetti. Interesting. That does look like a whole mess of effort. Glad it worked for you!
    I love a good do nothing day. Glad you (almost) got one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is startling to walk in the living room and find her on the mantel like that.
      I would not recommend veggetti-ing for 8 people with that little utensil I got. You would have to upgrade to a table top model. Or pass altogether.
      I got as close to a do-nothing day as I would expect.

      Delete
  7. Great post this week, even with the late hour of its posting.
    :-)
    I love giant, wet snowflakes falling and sticking to branches and covering the ground like a soft, white blanket.
    I didn't buy a ticket for that thing, but so many people did, hoping. Sure would be nice to not have to worry about money at all. Good luck. I heard nobody drew the winning numbers yet, so the suspense continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were gorgeous snowflakes! But I'm okay that they didn't stay around long.
      We made a big $2 investment. Somebody has to win some time; maybe it will be MEEEE! :)

      Delete
  8. We all have our ttot weak spots...ive been a lousy hopper this week...so i do have a zuchinni question. Do they stay all curly like that when you cook them or do they all just mush together?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok so I'm ALWAYS late, often, too late to even link up. Sigh. Also I think I only had spaghetti squash once but really loved it. Maybe it's time to try it again. And yay for that three pounds disappearing right after they came!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I want your Saturday. And if it isn't too much to ask, I would like to have it over three consecutive days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll share my Powerball winnings with you (if my husband remembers to buy a ticket). I have a Vegghetti. Love those zucchini noodles. I used to use the hand operated one, but I found one that sticks to the counter with a handle for turning. It's easier and you can do things like potatoes and fat cucumbers. It was just as reasonably priced. My daughter gave me a spiralizing cookbook and they suggest taking the noodles and putting them in a processor and making rice. Can you imagine zucchini rice? I never tried it but it sounds interesting. Anyway, enjoy. No snow here yet, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete