Sunday, July 5, 2015

A Pictorial Thankful For Our Patriotic Neighborhood Party

I live in a really cool neighborhood. In fact, it was recently included in 417 Magazine's article entitled "Neighborhoods We Love" (my house is the Tudor that is referred to in the first paragraph). The area is officially called Roanoke, unofficially called Northtown, and even MORE unofficially called Snob Hill. According to historicjoplin.org, the area, tucked into the northwest corner of town, was developed into a residential neighborhood in 1907, with tony street names and expensive lots. Each home is different, from cottages to colonials to everything in between. 

On the morning of the 4th of July, my neighborhood gets together for a celebration. It's a tradition that started in 1964 and includes patriotic music, speeches, a flag raising, food, drink, conversation, and holiday attire that (some, thankfully) only comes out once a year. My neighborhood takes its patriotism seriously, and that is my Ten Things of Thankful this week:


The flag raising ceremony.

Emma as the 2006 Miss Liberty.


Left, the speaker's podium. Center, Glenda
playing "God Bless America" on a keyboard,
with the entire crowd singing along.


Some of the crowd. 

Little girls in patriotic attire.

Food.

More food.

The "adult" drink station, across the street.

A couple of the bicycle parade participants.

See what I mean about thankfully
only seeing these pants once a year?


Happy birthday, America! I'm thankful to live here.




Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

28 comments:

  1. FRIST?

    (whats going on in the adult drink station that has everyone raising their hands in the air and cheering or something?… no, I'm serious! go back and look at the photo)

    ….frist, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frist, baby!
      I looked closer at that picture. What you're seeing is some red, white and blue bunting hanging on the house behind them. It DOES look like their arms are up, which wouldn't be entirely surprising, given how strong that stuff is alleged to be.

      Delete
  2. Those are some interesting pants! It sounds like a pretty awesome gathering though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those hilarious? I always wonder if he found them in a thrift shop or saved them from the 70s.

      Delete
  3. How funny, we had a neighborhood barbecue on the 4th as well.. I totally see what you mean regarding the pants.. May bring them out for Halloween if dressing up as Uncle Sam!

    Emma was the most adorable Miss Liberty ever!

    Have a wonderful week, Dyanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a man who does dress like Uncle Sam, but I didn't see him. He was pretty old, I hope he didn't die :(
      Wasn't she precious? She took her job very seriously!
      Thanks, Stephanie! You, too!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like quintessential Americana. How lovely to celebrate with your neighbors. If you spend too much time at the drink station, you can just walk home. Emma was an adorable Miss Liberty. Happy Fourth of July. OBTW - I like my white pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's both hokey and wonderful, all at the same time. I think quite a few people are glad they can walk home from that drink station! I believe one igloo cooler is either screwdrivers or tequila sunrises and the other is Bloody Marys. Rumour has it that they are wickedly strong.
      Ha ha! The white pants are SOOO quirky :)

      Delete
  5. did those pants make an appearance in last years fourth of July blog post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some similar pants in last year's post. That man was head to toe red, white and blue.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful post! I love your neighborhood July 4th celebration. We had a flag raising ceremony and July 4th breakfast at my church. I always get teary eyed when singing the patriotic music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a lovely neighborhood! You should see it at Halloween, especially our street, with the vintage streetlights (that the city hates).
      I get teary when I hear the national anthem, especially when it's at sporting events.

      Delete
  7. We do not live in a neighborhood like that and lately I've been really wishing that we did. Someday...when we find the forever house, perhaps. But in the meantime, I'll live vicariously through you and May for my small town fix!
    Love the pants. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many neighborhoods like this one. It's pretty cool. Come visit anytime and get your fix in person!
      If I find any pants like that, I'll certainly buy them for you...

      Delete
  8. Looks like a great neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty great place, even with all the lead in the soil :)

      Delete
  10. Wow to have your neighborhood featured is neat. I wish our neighborhood did more together. We wave at each other a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That feature in the magazine was pretty cool. My neighbor three doors down was the one interviewed for it.
      Waving is better than driving right past!

      Delete
  11. Isn't little Miss Emma so cute! That's really neat your neighborhood was featured in a magazine.Sounds like you guyes had a great holiday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The contrasting picture would be the one I took of her with a group of friends after she ditched me the minute we got to the party :) A lot changes in 9 years!

      Delete
  12. I love that your neighborhood has maintained that adorable tradition for so long. Mine couldn't even sustain an annual block party beyond 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where does one procure pants such as those?!

    Something else we have in common--old house people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what a delightful post. Little miss looks adorable in her outfit, and the rest of the photos are smashing...so lovely to see community coming together... happy times, one can't help but smile :)

    I have neighborhood envy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She was so little! Hard to believe she's 16 now and spent this year's party ditching me to be with her friends :)

      Delete