Saturday, April 23, 2016

T is for Tealight Cake



I needed easy for today's A to Z Challenge post, and I got it. 

Here's the pin:



http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/
resources/tutorials/tealightcake/

Bonus: I actually had all the supplies. Actually had almost all the supplies: a tealight, scrapbooking paper, glue, a scallop circle punch (guess which supply I didn't have?).

Having zero imagination today, I used a striped piece of scrapbooking paper to make the cake piece, just like the pinner.



And glued it around the tealight.



Because I didn't have a scalloped circle punch, I just cut a circle for my cake top.



I may not have a scalloped circle punch, but I DO have scalloped scissors, and I used those to cut a scalloped edge on my cake top circle. Was it as good as a I would get with a punch? No. Do I care right now? No.

I marked the center, then used a craft knife to cut four intersecting slits in the center of the circle.



Then I put glue on top of the tealight and slipped the cake top over the flamey part. I will be really honest here and tell you that I didn't think this would work, BUT IT DID.



This next step was a little tricky, as the thick paper didn't want to cooperate, but I bent the scalloped edges over the top of the tealight.



Kind of cute, huh?

The last step was to add embellishments. The pinner obviously used different punches to make flowers and leaves and butterflies for the top of the cake.  Here is the Pinterest version:



I don't have any cute little punches, but I DO have scrapbooking stickers. Not the 3-D look of the Pinterest pin, but not bad.

May I present the finished product:



Pinterest win!

14 comments:

  1. wow that looks pretty - great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet project! I think i may have a paper addiction so i love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to use scraps, since that light is soooo tiny.

      Delete
  3. I like this - nice and simple. I also have a stash of scrapbooking supplies that I'm always looking to put to good use.

    @WeekendsinMaine
    Weekends in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually considered buying one of those scalloped circle punches just so I could easily make more, but I don't know what I'd do with them all.

      Delete
  4. These are cute. Another party decor thing, perhaps? Not sure how else one might use them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how to use them, but I like them. Party favors?

      Delete