Thursday, March 31, 2022

A is for Angel Food Cake

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter


When I was little, angel food cake was THE cake for celebrations. My great aunt baked them and smothered them in thick frosting. 

With my mama on my 1st birthday. My great
 aunt made this cake for me

My mom also made angel food cakes when I was growing up (lightly glazed instead of fiercely frosted). Just like my great aunt, when the cake came out of the oven, my mom turned it upside down over an empty Pepsi bottle to cool, but unlike my great aunt, my mom's cakes came from a mix. 


My 5th birthday cake, made by my mama.
Excuse the logos; I was too lazy to look 
for a better version of this photo.


As a kid, I couldn't tell the difference beyond the different icing on each, but a few years back, my parents started picking up (unfrosted) angel food cakes from a Mennonite bakery, and I became reacquainted with the kind of cake my great aunt used to bake.

Since I decided to Eat the Alphabet for this year's A to Z Challenge, what better place to start than with - ta daaaa - angel food cake?!  And then see if anyone could tell the difference between a mix cake and scratch cake and see which they preferred!

Let me start by saying that anyone with a mixer and an angel food cake pan* can make an angel food cake from a mix. Well, unless you don't have access to water, of course, as that is the ONLY THING YOU ADD TO THE STUFF IN THE BOX. Dump cake mix into bowl of mixer. Add water. Mix. Pour in pan. Bake. Turn upside down onto a Pepsi bottle or something close to it. Let cool. Run a knife around the cake inside the pan and shimmy it out onto a cake plate. Done, unless you want to add frosting, which I have discovered I don't care that much for when it comes to angel food cake, so I make mine commando.**

All it takes for the mix cake

Couple of minutes in the mixer



Done and ready to flip over


The scratch cake was a little more complicated. 

For starters, you need a dozen egg whites, and thanks to supply chain issues and world events, a dozen eggs costs more than an entire angel food cake mix, but I soldiered on for The Cause and separated away AND am pleased to say I didn't break ONE SINGLE YOLK. I also ended up with a literal cup of egg yolks that I didn't want to throw away (stay tuned to see what I did with them).

Beat the egg whites. Add cream of tartar (which is a powder and not creamy AT ALL) and sugar and beat some more (bless you, my 29 year old Kitchen Aid mixer). Carefully fold in more sugar and cake flour. Do all the other things to end up with a cake on a plate.

Hmmm. A few more ingredients


About 10 minutes of beating egg whites
gets you this


Sifting in dry ingredients with a sieve,
even though I SWEAR I bought a
real sifter a few months ago. Sifting
with a sieve is messy or maybe
that's just a technique thing.


Dry ingredients folded into the egg whites



In the pan


Out of the oven


No, it's not a Pepsi bottle. It's a funnel
that had belonged to my grandma and
it's only function is EXACTLY THIS

The results:

The finished products. Scratch on the left.
Mix on the right.

An angel food cake made from a mix is extremely airy and light. You can see that by how much taller it is than the scratch cake. It's much sweeter than the scratch cake, and a little wetter. (Don't you mean "moister"? No, I mean wetter, because that's what it is. Wetter.)

The scratch cake is more dense than a mix cake, but by dense I don't mean heavy. Just has more body to it. Not so poofy. Less sweet. Not wet.

So how did the taste testing go at work? 

Half of my co-workers were unable to discern correctly which was from a mix and which was from scratch, but the scratch cake was overwhelmingly the favorite.

What does this prove?

Very little.

But it was certainly a delicious experiment.

*you CAN bake an angel food cake in a loaf pan (or two)

**please note that by saying "I make mine commando" I was NOT implying that I was commando when I made the cake; rather, the CAKE was commando by virtue of lack of frosting

33 comments:

  1. wow is food ur theme ! So cool :) I got ur blog from the master list . However I had a feeling u must b doing the challenge. All the best
    Angel food cake - from scratch I stopped my fingers from scrolling almost there as I am that lazy ;) but appreciate ur efforts.. Now I feel like having some cake. Yes readymade mixes are lighter and sweeter even here. I recently made a chocolate cake from pillsburry / betty crocker mixes we get here. They are not fantastic but good enough :) Looking fwd to other posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Afshan! I'm so glad you are doing the A to Z, too! The cake from scratch truly was worth it! Now go have some cake - I insist!

      Delete
  2. Love the food theme. I haven't baked in so long--no working oven :( This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The theme is a good excuse to find some interesting things to cook (and eat!) in the name of research. I have my oven burner go out and have to be replaced twice since the oven was new over 23 years ago, because I use the oven so much!

      Delete
  3. Great theme.... loved the birthday pictures you showed... having those pictures for memories are the best... and I'm so wanting a slice of cake. I'll be checking back in. I'm also in on the challenge in Time Traveling through my blog for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne! Those photos truly are treasures. And I will admit that, while I gave away half of each cake at work for taste testing, I ate probably 75% of the other two halves all myself over just a couple of days (my husband got a very small amount, mostly because he wasn't quick enough to get more!). I like to tell myself that plain angel food cake isn't a bad choice - hah!

      Delete
  4. I have never had an angel food cake. So I was puzzled as to how you could put it upside-down on a Pepsi bottle. Until I saw the picture. Of course! Is that a bundt tin? I haven't baked a cake in yonks. Enjoyed reading about yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my taste testers is an international student at the university where I work, and she had never had angel food cake, either. And if you don't turn it upside down as it cools, the whole thing collapses! It is an angel food cake pan. Plain aluminum. Bundt pans won't work for an angel food cake, because first, they are too small, and second, because the batter has to "stick" to the sides of the pan as it rises and bakes and a bundt pan has the non-stick coating on it that would prevent the cake from rising. Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  5. This is the food of gods!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and all the best for the rest of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like Angel Food cake, but I don't often have it. I was going to say that my mother never baked them until I saw your photo showing the view of the finished cake in the pan. Now I do recall seeing her bake cakes that looked like that. But she didn't bake cakes regularly and they were always from a mix. I'm used to unfrosted angel food cakes, but I would by far prefer frosted ones and preferable chocolate.

    Good start to a fun sounding theme.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out Battle of the Bands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was Team Mix all the way! I don't think I've ever had chocolate frosting on an angel food cake, but it sounds like a great idea! Thank you so much for visiting!

      Delete
  7. I laughed out loud about the commando cake! I have never made a from scratch angel food cake - that is interesting that it is not as sweet and it is "less wet." I love making trifle (that is what we call it) where you layer angel food cake (cut into chunks), pudding, cool whip, and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that trifle recipe! And I wouldn't waste the effort of making an angel food cake from scratch to make that! In fact, when I make that, I usually REALLY cheat and buy a store bought cake from Walmart to use!

      Delete
  8. I would like a piece of the from scratch please. My mother used to make angel food cakes (from scratch) She never frosted them. I think I might have made one in the distant past when we kept chickens.
    Is this a baking A to Z? If so I hope you are doing a lot of walking. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would send you a piece if I hadn't eaten all of it! It's an eating A to Z but I'm probably making everything for it because I like to make extra work for myself :D And yes, I am doing a lot of walking to walk off the extra calories!

      Delete
  9. Great theme! It doesn't surprise me that scratch was better, although i doubt most of us will be bothering with separating that many eggs when a mix is available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Separating eggs is messy and time consuming, but I do have a pretty nifty egg separator that does the job well.

      Delete
  10. Eating your way through the alphabet - how fun. I'm not sure I've ever had a from-scratch angel food cake, but I have no doubt I'd love it. When I was a kid, my mother often baked checkerboard cakes, and I thought it would be the best cake ever if she made it as an angel food/devil's food combo. Although I requested it every year for my birthday, somehow she never made one for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom never made fancy cakes like that, although she did take a cake decorating class and learned to make icing flowers that were lovely. I have a checkerboard pan that someone bought me. I think I used it exactly once, but you may have motivated me to try it again!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the read filled with beauty, nostalgia and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not an Angel Food Cake fan myself, but this was a really fun read.

    A-to-Z participant MsDarkstar - Darkstarian Discourse

    ReplyDelete
  13. The by scratch is a lot more work. I used to make everything by scratch. Kudos for going through the work. I can tell when a cake is scratch made but most people dont care.
    Happy A to Zing.
    My story takes the reader to Ukraine in 2022. I originally wrote this in 2007 while living in Ukraine.
    The Basics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people just want cake and don't care how it is made, but if you are a baker at all, you know the difference between mix and scratch!

      Delete
  14. Ahh. I learned how to make angel food cake from scratch. When I was introduced to mixes, I used these, then graduated to the already baked angel food cakes and never looked back. We only use it for strawberry shortcake anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love strawberries over angel food cake! Mixes are sure handy and taste pretty darn good, too. I buy already baked angel food cakes to use for trifles or other desserts, because it's so much easier!

      Delete
  15. I'd honestly never heard of angel food cakes! Then again, I'm not from the United States. I think they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! Especially delicious with fruit on it and a little whipped cream!

      Delete
  16. I'm not an angel food cake lover. My mom made a chiffon cake that was close to angel food but more tasty :) You did good with this one though!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I obviously acquired a taste for angel food cake at a very early age!

      Delete