Sunday, January 12, 2020

It's Always A Good Week When You Don't Blow Away And Other Thankfuls

I survived the week! At my new job at the child development center at our local university, we rely on college students for nearly all the support positions, and when they have Christmas break for four weeks and we have it for two, then you can see where there might be a problem. But you know there are thankfuls everywhere, even when you're short-handed at work, so here are mine for the week:

1. Some of our student workers live locally, and they worked their fannies off this week, filling in for others so we would remain within our ratio of children to adults (kind of a big deal that we do that). Still others came back from their Christmas break early just to work, and between all of them, we made it through the week and stayed within ratio!

2. Ohhh, that new memory foam mattress pad! It was heaven on earth this past week when I was so exhausted from work!

3. We had a tornado drill this week at work. We made it down a pretty steep staircase to the basement of our building with over 60 children ranging from 1-5 years old and there were no casualties on said staircase.

4. One of the reasons we had a tornado drill (besides the fact that they are required by law) is because we were expecting unseasonably warm temperatures and severe thunderstorms which would be followed by below freezing temperatures accompanied by freezing rain, sleet and snow (welcome to Missouri). The thunderstorms began while my little nugs were napping, and one big ol' clap of thunder woke all but one of them up, but we did not get anything worse than that and did not have to put our tornado drill skills to work. 

5. We didn't get the ice or snow that was forecast for our area. I'm thankful for that because ice is bad stuff and makes the power go out if you get too much of it. We lost our power for a week back in 2007 because of a nasty ice storm. 

6. The forecast called for up to 6" of snow, and I don't think we got a single snowflake. We got some sleet, but that's it. And I'm thankful for THAT because I hate to waste snow on a perfectly good weekend, when if it would wait a couple of days, it would mean we would have a snow day from work!

7. Lewis says he's thankful for the essential oil diffuser my husband got me for Christmas. It looks a little like the cooling tower for a nuclear reactor and changes colors (hopefully something the nuclear reactor towers do NOT do) and puffs out cool mist laced with essential oils. Lewis is utterly fascinated by it and so far, has not knocked it off the table.


Lewis trying unsuccessfully to catch
the stream of cool mist.



8. My daughter bought an automatic cat fountain for our three kitties, and they are all scared of it. I decided to plug it in again and see if any of them would drink out of it. Finn and Nora prefer to drink their water from the bathroom faucet anyway, so wouldn't you think they'd be all in for this? They are not. Lewis is scared of it as well, but he had enough bravado to approach it and smack the water with his foot. I'm thankful for his incredible bravery in the face of a little tiny spout of running water and hope it will lead to the other two drinking from it, because I get very weary of turning the faucet on in the sink for them every time I'm in the bathroom.




9. My dad fell yesterday, and since he has a medical alert necklace, he can't hide it from me that it happened, because I get a phone call from the company when he sets it off. Mind you, he has set it off more than once by accident, like the day he was eating leftover cheesy potatoes and rested the bowl on the button, causing it to go off three different times, but this time, he really fell and it really worked. I am NOT thankful that he fell, but I believe he learned his lesson about walking outside in the dark to get the mail when there was ice, sleet and snow on the ground, because he took a pretty good tumble into the yard.

10. CHIEFFFFFFSSSSS!!!


My future son-in-law 😂


Did you avoid the nasty weather this weekend? Do you have a nuclear reactor cooling tower on your bedside table? Think about your thankfuls every day. If you are a blogger, link up with us. 



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

3 comments:

  1. Going down a steep stair case with 60 little children sounds like a tremendous feat. So glad you all made it down and back up without a tumble.

    I am glad your Dad's alarm worked. Is there someone else who could possibly get your Dad's mail for him, especially in the condition you mentioned? A trusted neighbor perhaps?

    Such a curiosity that automatic cat fountain is! He is ever so cautious.

    What a week you had! Hopefully, this coming one will be a little quieter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You didn't have to have a real escape! Aww poor daddy and glad he's hooked up to an alarm. I have that same water mister. Love it. When I had cats they loved their fountain. Maybe yours will come around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS a good week when you don't blow away! I always love the humor you add to your reporting of adventures. After spending a week trying to keep my little granddaughter from tumbling down our stairs, I can only imagine the enormity of leading 60 children down a staircase!

    ReplyDelete