Sunday, June 1, 2014

Happy Birthday, TToT!

Ten Things of Thankful has gone from Lizzi's conception of a blog hop where the participants look to find joy and thankfulness in every day life to the hop's birth, through its infancy, and into a walking, talking toddler celebrating its first birthday this weekend. The co-hosts all contributed five thankfuls for this creation, and you can read them right here at Considerings.  THERE'S CAKE!

Now, on with the show.

1. Last weekend, my brother, sister in law and niece joined us at my parents' lake house for the long Memorial Day weekend, and we also celebrated my mom's 82nd birthday. There was a little excitement when the switch on the sump pump in the basement broke, meaning no bathroom facilities, but my Daddy was able to fix it himself (without dropping anything important down any drain holes and yes, it has happened before - don't ask), and we were all able to carry on without resorting to frequent visits to the nearest gas station.


No, Ruby, you don't have to get in the suitcase.
We're taking you with us to the lake house.


Watching the lake. And the birds. And the
squirrels. And the leaves. And ....

 2. My daughter had her last day of school this week. She is now really and truly an offical sophomore in high school, and now it really and truly is officially SUMMER.

3. We've been in some kind of weird weather pattern that has caused little pop-up rain showers that have moved from east to west, instead of the usual west to east. It's kept everything good and steamy, but on the plus side, it has created a plethora of rainbows. Most of them are just little snippets, but they're still such a wonder of beauty.




4. Pretzels dipped in roasted red pepper hummus.

5. It is no secret that Pete hates Ruby with a fiery passion. He can hardly stay in the same room with her, and when he sees her, either face to face or across the room, he is reduced to a snarling, hissing mess. This week, I caught him in a (now) rare, unguarded moment, looking and acting like the old Pete B.R. (Before Ruby)




6. I've spent much of the past week eagerly anticipating a girl (plus one boy) trip to Branson to spend the week with my person and her kids. She lived here for a number of years and sang in several different shows (if you don't know anything about Branson, you can get an idea from looking here), so she is eager to watch some shows while they are here. We will also fit in some just plain touristy stuff for the kids (three 16 year olds and one 15 year old). 

7. My husband is completely self-sufficient. That is a very good thing, because that means I can leave for five days and know that he can cook for himself and do laundry if necessary (which shouldn't BE necessary, since I did six loads before I left) and usually knows where to find anything in the house he might need. He can even take care of the kitties, although when I'm home, he feigns ignorance on matters of the cats.

8. Sonic Happy Hour.

9. On last week's TToT, Robbie at Fractured Family Tales listed Triscuit Brown Rice Thin Crisps (wasabi and soy sauce flavored). I passed down the cracker aisle at Walmart earlier this week and remembered her glowing review, so I picked up a box. And ate half of them on the way home from the store. Two thumbs up from me and Robbie for those, although I would have liked just a wee bit more wasabi kick.


Nom nom nom

10. This is how I started my very first TToT.

1. I am thankful that I'm not Rafael Nadal's wife mom housekeeper and have to wash these socks he wore to the French Open.



This is how I shall end today's:

And I'm thankful I don't have to wash Roger Federer's shirt.



Happy Birthday, TToT!



Be thankful with us! Link up your post below:


Ten Things of Thankful



 Your hosts

26 comments:

  1. You're bonkers. I love it :D

    SO happy you're part of this. And that you have so much good stuff going on. I'm kind of jealous about those crispy things - I LOVE crispy things and could probably stuff the whole box if I wasn't careful. Shame about them not being quite wasabi-i enough though.

    HUZZAH for Pete returning to his former character for a bit. Such a shame he and Ruby still don't get on, but who can decipher the kitty mind, huh?

    Enjoy your trip with your Person. I saw mine today and it was wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy to be part of it as well.
      No Triscuits in the UK? They are delicious crackers. I also like the roasted garlic ones and the rosemary and olive oil ones and the cracked pepper ones. Nom nom nom.
      Pete spends so much time hissing and growling that he hardly remembers how to behave properly. I think he is terrified of Ruby, as well he should be, and shows it by being mock-aggressive.
      I'm having a wonderful time with my Person! I sense next week's TToT may have a theme.

      Delete
  2. As always I love the Ruby photos but Pete's are great too! Love the cake one!
    Your lake house sounds wonderful, and happy birthday to your mom.
    And yes, thank goodness you do not have to wash those socks or Federer's shirt! I think they should do their own, especially Federer, for lying down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always, always, always think of you when I post a picture of Ruby! I wish I could have gotten a picture of Pete with the candles lit, but he panicked when I got the lighter out and split.
      I think the socks definitely should have been trashed, and probably the shirt, too.

      Delete
  3. You had me at the first CAT picture!

    LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't she the cutest? She always gets in the suitcase when I'm trying to pack. And follows me all over the house. And greets me at the front door when I come home. Love my Ruby!

      Delete
  4. oh poor pete! Does he dislike RUby because he fears she has replaced him in some way? Do you need a kitty psychologist? He looks so loveable when he doesnt wanna tear her face off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete definitely needs a kitty shrink. Ruby walked in a took over, JUST like Pete did to Fletcher when we brought HIM home. Karma....

      Delete
  5. I can't even imagine our Rotten Boys not getting along - we're so thankful that they do. Ruby is too cute hopping in the suitcase.
    I'm intrigued by those Triscuit things. I hate blah crackers and that flavor looks awesome.
    Your trip to the lake house sounds wonderful - happy belated birthday to your Mom! And congratulations to your daughter on being a sophomore. That year is my favorite of all the high school grades - not sure why, but they always have been. I think maybe it's that they change so much that year.
    And of course - happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are the Rotten Cats litter mates? Poor Fletcher was the first one we had. We got Pete when Fletcher was two, and Pete has tormented him ever since. Then Ruby came along this fall when the boys were 8 and 10. Fletcher just thought Oh, hell, it's another one. Pete, on the other hand, has not adapted at all.
      Those crackers were so good! The brown rice made them nothing like a regular Triscuit, but terrific, nonetheless.
      It's such a blessing to have a lake house to go to! And that my parents don't mind when we bring friends.
      I can see where sophomore year would be the best. Freshmen are squirrely and juniors and seniors are uppity.
      Happy summer, Lisa!

      Delete
  6. Pete is saying to himself "I don't think they're looking. that's it. look away. yeah. go out of the room even better. I am having.... that cake...." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the only one of the three cats who could care less about people food, yet he was the only one interested in the cake. Until I lit the candles, then he took off.

      Delete
  7. Yay summer!!
    We have had some of that same crazy weather. When we went into church, beautiful blue skies. When we came out of church an hour later, creepy storm clouds everywhere. Went into the grocery store, and one hour later, a gorgeous sunset with a full rainbow from the ground on one end to the ground on the other.
    Have fun in Branson. Been there once and saw Yackov smirnov. So fun.
    I remember that post about the socks. It only made me like you more. So glad I met you those many months ago.
    Check FB messages. I'm coming to your area in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd weather, isn't it? One day last week, it rained at our house HARD and didn't rain on the other side of town, which is all of 3 miles away.
      My friend is being the cruise director. I just do what she has planned :) We never go to shows when we're here. We just sit around like bumps on pickles and enjoy the quiet.
      I wish I could remember when and how I first found your blog. It was right after the dead pig in the hog tank incident, I guess. So happy that serendipity or something like it led me to you!
      SQUEEEEEEEE!!!

      Delete
  8. I love that you tried the Triscuits! I agree they could use a bit more kick..maybe I will spread some Wasabi on mine. I love Branson..used to joke that when we lived in Kansas we were required to vacation there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very spoiled by having a lake house to stay in (my parents'). We never actually DO any of the "Branson" stuff, so this will be fun for us.
      The crackers were really good! I would never have bought them without your recommendation!

      Delete
  9. Hurray for summer and rainbows! Happy birthday to your mom, and have a great time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi! How can it be a bad week when there's a rainbow?

      Delete
  10. HI Dyanne..The Triscuits look good..I wonder if Canada has them. I will have to try to find them. I don 't knwo about the red hummus but I did try artichoke dip this week..YUM. Yah, we have been having kind of weird weather,t oo. Sunny, but not that warm, but we did have C24 yesterday..yay! Last wknd sounds delightful. Gldad your dad was able to get the plumbing fixed. Your kitty and doggie are adorable. Summer doesn't start for most of Canada until the end of JUne, when when school lets out. Loved your list..enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artichoke dip is good, but RICH. I like the roasted red pepper hummus, because I feel as though I'm not eating something horrible for me.
      Summer is going strong here. We seem to have gone straight from winter to summer and skipped most of spring. But at least there isn't any snow!

      Delete
  11. this is again a cute post. Love those cat / kitten and cake pics.
    LOL at the fact that u dont have to wash Nadal's shirt :)
    Happy summers, rainbows and have a grt time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Afshan! Don't you agree that the shirt just needs to be thrown in the trash?

      Delete
  12. Rainbow and hummmus are after

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, is this a Finish the Sentence comment? Rainbow and hummus are... hell, I can find no similarity.

      Delete
  13. Pretzels, crackers, cats and rainbows - I think you have a title for your first album. Or novel. I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete