Tuesday, April 2, 2024

B is for Becky With The Good Hair

#AtoZChallenge 2024 badge B

I am in the process of sorting through everything in my parents' home, and in so doing, I have been looking through all my childhood memorabilia, the majority of which I hadn't seen since my parents packed up my belongings and moved them from the home I grew up in to this house some 45 years ago. My 2024 A to Z Challenge theme is based on the treasures I have found in the boxes and the drawers and closets. Join me on my bittersweet journey back to my childhood.

I loved dolls as a child, and I had the collection to show for it. I had dolls that danced, dolls that walked, and dolls that talked. I had troll dolls, Barbie dolls, Little Kiddles dolls (IYKYK), and I had baby dolls, and oh, those baby dolls were my favorites! I played dolls by myself, I played dolls with my best friend and next door neighbor Cherie, and I played dolls with anyone else who couldn't avoid me, such as my mom or my older brother Phil (although both my mom and my brother were curiously absent most of the time they were "playing" with me - hmmmm). 

This is Becky. She was my very first baby doll, and she has been loved so much. Her legs are barely attached. She could use a bath. Her hair looks and feels like a Brillo pad, and from the looks of it, she has had way too much back sleeping. I have no memory of what her original clothes looked like; her current outfit was a hand-me-down from Baby Tender Love. There are no identifying marks on her anywhere, but she does favor a Thumblina doll. 

And I love her.

Don't worry, Becky. Now that I have found you again, I promise to keep you safe.

Baby Becky

Back sleeping all the time will get ya.



This is a Baby Tender Love.
I didn't care much for her because
her arms and legs didn't move.


Newborn Thumbelina. Eyes are similar. 
I had one that I named Tina.
.


Shadowy photo, but I was more
concerned with omitting the cat 
from the shot (sorry, Nora)







16 comments:

  1. Oh, beloved Becky! I'm glad you found her. I was more a stuffed animal girl, and have my first stuffed dog, Mr. Jingles, whose ears practically have holes in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Mr. Jingles! I do have a very favorite stuffed dog in my cedar chest, but I was definitely doll girl.

      Delete
  2. Becky looks so loved!! https://milepebbles.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's precious and so loved, I'm glad she's been found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are baby Nora and the last baby sisters? I also played with lots of dolls. Especially doll house dolls in my older childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you play with paper dolls, too? I loved Betsy McCall! And I used to make my own.

      Delete
  5. Dolls! Yes! I was a stuffed animal person but when I was seven, my mom bought me my first (and last) barbie. I kept her until I was sixteen but lost her when my parents moved. So glad you found Becky - she does look loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Barbie, too! My Barbies all met an unfortunate end.

      Delete
  6. Oh, so nice you found Becky! I have to figure out when my toys and dolls are! I am sure they are there somewhere up on the loft. It's a great feeling to be with them, even if we are adults. Because there is a child in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, there is a child in all of us! When I found Becky, I immediately cradled her like I would a newborn baby!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful childhood memories - the dolls that held our attention were special. It's even better when they are part of our life now - keeps us connected to the little girls we once were.

    The last one looks a little like my Cheerful Tearful doll - which sits in a glass cabinet in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH I HAD A CHEERFUL TEARFUL DOLL, TOO!!! Most of my dolls didn't survive various flooding issues in my parents' basement (what didn't get ruined in the pipe breaking or the heavy rains didn't make it through the great sewer pipe disaster)

      Delete
  8. This is such a cute post. I am glad you found Becky. Do check out my blog here: https://www.sundarivenkatraman.in/

    ReplyDelete