The Polar Vortex made its first (wish it were last) visit to us this week. Temperatures dropped down into the teens, something we don't usually get until January and over 40 degrees below normal. BRRRRR!!!
I bought some new boots (two pairs) and they KILL my feet. Didn't when I tried them on; in fact, they were marvelously comfortable.
I had to go to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned. I hate hate HAAAAATE going to the dentist. I hate the x-rays. I hate that little scrapy thing the hygienist uses. I hate the tooth polish taste and the grit it leaves in your mouth. I hate the little sprayer that always gets water all over my face. I hate the sucky thing and always get my tongue in the way. I hate having someone floss my teeth. I hate being tipped practically upside down in the chair. I hate the chair. I hate the bib. I hate the taste of latex glove in my mouth (although it's better than a bare hand). And that's just cleaning them! Don't get me started on actually having to have a procedure done.
I committed myself to making two chocolate and two coconut cream pies for an event next week, and I've never made either before. What was I thinking?
I went to the mall, trying to find a Thanksgiving-themed gift (complete fail), and the entire place is decked out in Christmas, including Christmas carols playing in every store. Sorry, Pilgrims, who created my favorite holiday. You've been squeezed out by Christmas commercialism.
I reached under my kitchen sink tonight for some spray cleaner and the bottom of the bottle was wet. Upon further investigation, I found there was water dripping down from the garbage disposal. Instead of leaving it at that, I decided to run some water and turn on the garbage disposal to see what would happen. Well, what happened is water with bits of whatever was in the bottom of the garbage disposal spewed out through a small, previously unnoticed, hole in the side of the garbage disposal, spraying me and the inside of the cabinet with mucky water.
And now I have to write a thankful list.
|Not my hat.|
1. Hats. I love to wear hats in the winter, because they make me warmer and keep my ears from aching.
2. My electric mattress pad. This has hit the list before, but it bears repeating.
3. Snuggies. Don't laugh. The blanket with sleeves is really warm and comfortable when you're sitting around in a drafty, old house during a Polar Vortex.
4. Kitties who sleep at my feet and make them even warmer than the mattress pad does.
5. The wonderful feeling of slipping off uncomfortable shoes.
6. No cavities!
7. In the name of research, getting to make AND EAT chocolate pie and coconut pie this weekend. Even if they aren't fantastic, they're still pie.
8. Only 13 days until Thanksgiving!
9. A wonderful handyman who is going to come over on Saturday and put in a new garbage disposal for me.
10. Haircuts. I took the plunge and got another four inches cut off my hair. I think I'm going to like it; at least, I HOPE so, since there's no going back at this point.
|Crappy before and after.|
There. I did it. Ten Things of Thankful in a week when nothing stood out. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to crank up the ol' electric mattress pad and settle into my cozy bed. Ruby's already there, waiting for me.
|Almost as good as a Snuggie.|
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, Mother of Imperfection, Rewritten, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine
Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group