Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Mousecapades

My son is a freshman at the same college I attended. He is a Cell and Molecular Biology major, minoring in Chemistry.  He had over 30 AP and dual credit hours when he started college and got to skip over all kinds of lower level classes, like English Composition and College Algebra. He's taking classes now that make my head spin. He is a genius kid.

I was an Elementary Education major in college, and I'll be the first to tell you, it doesn't get much easier than that, folks. Math for Elementary Teachers. Art for Elementary Teachers. Music for Elementary Teachers (see the trend here?). 

Then there was Biology for Elementary Teachers.

I took the class spring semester of my freshman year. We had a lecture three days a week (and I honestly cannot tell you one single, solitary thing about that), plus a three hour lab one day a week, taught by a graduate student. 

My lab was on Monday afternoons, and it was filled with the super-geeky type of Elementary Education majors, the ones who sit in the front row and try to impress the professor and remind him he forgot to give the homework assignment. I chose a seat in the back of the room, at the end of a lab table, thinking this was going to be one long semester, when a girl came in the door, glanced around the room at all the goody-two-shoes sitting in there, and sat on the stool across from me. Her name was Liz, and we became instant friends.

The class was a complete waste of time. I guess the Biology department didn't think we lowly Elementary Ed majors were worth the cost of dissecting anything (which, honestly, I was okay with), so the graduate assistant just showed us a fetal pig that had been dissected by a "real" class. 

We did do one minor experiment. We had some chemical concoction in a test tube and were instructed to heat it over a Bunson burner. I was holding the test tube in the flame with a pair of tongs as Liz read the directions. She was just getting to the part that said, "Continually move the test tube from side to side and never hold it still while in the flame," when the liquid inside shot up out of the tube. Probably should have read the part about continually moving it sooner.... The only other thing we did that was like a "real" Biology class involved mice. Oh, the mice!


We were given a glass cage with two white mice in it, a boy mouse and a girl mouse, and we were to observe them over the semester. Each set of lab partners was assigned a week of mouse duty (that is, cleaning out the cage, feeding and watering them). Mice being mice, our girl mouse was soon in the family way, and each week, we watched her get bigger and bigger. And soon enough, she had a litter of eight naked babies.

The lab partners who had the luck of drawing birthing week as their week to care for the mouse family made off easy. The babies were too small to move, so no cage cleaning; they only had to make sure they had plenty of food and water and that was that.

The week following that was our week. Liz and I went into the lab to care for our little family, only to find out the baby daddy had eaten one of the babies (MOST of one of the babies, anyway). We removed him and put him in a separate cage. We removed mom and her bundles of joy, each covered with downy white now, their eyes still closed, weighed them (because we were trying to score a few brownie points with the graduate assistant after the whole test tube debacle), cleaned out the cage, filled it with fresh bedding, filled their food dish, and filled their ginormous water bottle. We nestled mama and babies back into the cage and were clipping the water bottle into place when the plug fell out and the water began gushing out of the bottle, filling the glass cage with an inch or so of water. 

Frantically, we started scooping babies out of the water, dropping them into a box. Next, we fished mom out, putting her in the box with her children. With paper towels, we tried to dry them all off, but it was hardly efficient. We emptied the watery cedar chip bedding from their cage, dried it thoroughly, refilled it with fresh litter, gave them new food, refilled the ginormous water bottle, making sure THIS time that the cork was firmly in place, and returned the mouse mama and babies to their cage. Again. And we left.

At our next lab class, the graduate assistant remarked that there was something wrong with our mice; two of the babies had died, and none of them looked particularly right. Their fur was a little scrappy, and it had yellowed a bit. Liz and I looked at each other, saying nothing. In the next week, two more babies died. The remaining babies survived, but not long after they were weaned, the mom went to mousy heaven, too. The babies grew into adult mice (they do that FAST), but they were yellowed, their fur scraggly.

The graduate assistant was befuddled by this.

And Liz and I, feeling like horrible, horrible mouse killers when we were just trying to do the right thing, never let out a squeak about what happened.

This week, after a long sabbatical, I am participating in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop with the prompt:


"Whose fault was it?"

32 comments:

  1. Ohboy!

    At least you didn't put the dead ones in your freezer (I assume).

    Still - if nothing else the class kept you interested in the welfare of small furry things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None in the freezer. Just kept my pie hole shut about the whole thing.

      Delete
  2. Oh...that reminds me of a baby mouse experience I had with my 8th grade science experiment...only I didn't kill any. ;) Perhaps I will have to write about that soon...thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you DEFINITELY need to write about it. I'll be waiting.....

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I can only imagine the horror! But why were they yellow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No clue as to why they yellowed. But the mice that belonged to the other lab classes were just fine, and they were all the same mice.

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness...
    I remember some of my Elementary Ed. courses...
    I wonder, too...why were they yellow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned how to do long division the right way when I took Math for Elementary Teachers, so it wasn't an entire waste of time. And I have no idea why they yellowed. Pneumonia? Beats me. But they looked dreadful!

      Delete
  5. I am not a mouse person and so in my version of reading this story, you are a heroine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm a heroine! I had a mouse (or three or four) in my preschool classroom a year ago December. If you want to put me on an even higher pedestal, you should read my accounts of THAT experience :)

      Delete
  6. Ugh, you were right, I shouldn't have looked at that pic of a mouse on your blog. I tried to avoid it, LOL.

    I'm so thankful to Jesus that I never had a class where I had to observe let alone touch a mouse or clean his cage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I warned you! I don't mind them in a cage like that, but the kind that get in your house? Eeeek! Hate those!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog! Sorry that happened to your mice! I definitely am not smart enough to take classes like that so kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, poor mice, that's so sad :(
    Maybe they went yellow because their bedding stained their wet fur - that's the only thing I can think of.

    I love mice, especially the various varieties of wild ones, and have a growing collection of mouse ornaments gradually taking over the house, though I've never actually had any as pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what yellowed them, but they were definitely yellow.

      I have two really cute mouse ornaments on my Christmas tree every year that are VERY realistic. I don't like when mice want to live in my house (or classroom).

      Delete
  9. My guess, the grad assistant did something as payback! Just sayin' ..... It is very sad, though ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that grad assistant REALLY did not like us...

      Delete
  10. That's crazy! Good thing mice are slutty and reproduce a lot. They are apparently too fragile if a little water kills 'em off! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In spite of what we did to our litter, there did not seem to be any shortage of mice in the biology department. And no, they aren't swimmers!

      Delete
  11. I can't imagine the water made all that difference! And you cleaned up after yourself. I say excuse yourself. Probably somebody else made a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water glubbed out of the bottle right on top of them. Oh, the humanity!

      Delete
  12. This is Elle and Lola's Gaga :). I was laughing out loud by the end of this! My sister once had a mouse lay babies in her oven, and her husband poked them with a fork to get them out of a hole and put them down her GARBAGE DISPOSAL! She was so mortified when she found out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. I hope your sister sleeps with one eye open, Gracie!

      Delete
  13. we used to raise mice in college... the biggest issue was separating dad and then when you clean the cage to count all the babies... they are so small its easy to toss one out with the bedding! ICK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't you just see us trying to dry those little buggers off with paper towels?

      Delete
  14. That's crazy! Can water really do that to baby mice? You should have told the instructor so you could get some answers. We had a litter of baby mice when my daughter's mice procreated. I was shocked because I thought they were both female!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't in the water very long, although the entire bottle emptied right on top of them. We scooped them out pretty quickly, but what other explanation is there for our mice turning sickly and yellow and the ones from the other classes thriving?

      We had a guinea pig that was the offspring of two "females." Never believe pet store workers!

      Delete
  15. I imagine you were wearing gloves, but I wonder if the mice died from human touch? Perhaps being exposed to something that their little bodies couldn't fight off? I either thought that or only a couple were meant to survive the great flood, like the mouse version of Noah's ark.

    Reminds me of a time when I was in elementary school and my friend had the classroom hamster for the weekend and as we were playing with it in its ball, it somehow got out and we lost it for several hours in her house. We were very much starting to feel that panic of losing/killing the class pet, until we found it under a pile of clothes in the laundry room. Ooftah.

    Kate at Daily discovery


    ReplyDelete