Thursday, May 30, 2013

Only 15?!

I've been enjoying these weekly writing prompts from Mama Kat at Mama's Losin' It.  I think I'm really going to like THIS one: list 15 reasons I am AWESOME (emphasis mine).

1. I have beautiful handwriting. Block printing, D'Nealian, cursive, you name it, and I can write that way.

2. I'm good at reading out loud. Just ask my preschoolers.

3. I still like to skip.

4. I don't drink, but it doesn't bother me if you do. I can go out with friends and act just as stupid sober as they do a little on the drunk side, and it didn't cost me more than the price of a Diet Coke.


They're all shit-faced, except for me.
Every last one of them....

5. I make the best caramel popcorn you will ever eat. No lie.

6. I can read a map and follow highway directional signs. That is very awesome if you happen to be married to someone who can do neither.

7. When I color, I stay inside the lines.

8. I make Halloween costumes or costumes for school plays or projects without using a pattern. I get material (or sometimes repurpose something I found at a thrift store) and sew it just by guess and by golly.


I replicated this...
...by making THIS for National History Day.




















9. I can pack a car trunk like nobody's business.

10. I try to comment on most blog posts I read, especially link ups, and I always reply when someone comments on my posts. 

11. I always pick the check out line that is the slowest, so if you see me waiting in a line, pick another one. You're welcome.


Yeah, not if I'M standing in line.

12. I don't sweat the small stuff. Paper or plastic? Whatev. 

13. I'm very flexible. Unless it involves Thanksgiving dinner, then not so much. 

14. I'm always game to go out to lunch.

15. I'M A ONE YEAR BREAST CANCER SURVIVOR, BABY!






Linking to Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. Prompt #1 15 Reasons You're Awesome.

Mama’s Losin’ It



33 comments:

  1. You are totally awesome! Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dyanne, I am probably standing behind you in line right now. I swear it's true!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for breast cancer survivors! My mom is one, too! And, a friend at my church. She's my age! I wish I had good handwriting. Mine has always been atrocious, and it only gets worse!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good luck and good health to your mom and your friend from me.

      I could teach you penmanship. I'm a professional.

      Delete
  4. Oh, and the sewing really impresses me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I sew that way is because I can't follow a pattern without something major screwing up.

      Delete
  5. Awesome handwritting = envious me! I have the penmanship of a serial killer. Love your list...and your shirt made me smile! (I just lost my Mom to colon cancer last month...)

    *clickin in from MamaKat*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never kidnap anyone, because my handwriting on the ransom note would give me away immediately.

      So sorry about your mom. That must be difficult.

      The shirt is great, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. I love your shirt and congratulations on one year cancer free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The shirt was a gift from my friend Jennifer at my Ta Ta to the Ta Ta's party before my surgery.

      Delete
  7. With almost every single one I was thinking, "Me, too!" All but 2, actually. I have not had cancer, and I can't make caramel popcorn. I do love to eat it, though, so feel free to make some for me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've had your share of health concerns, though (the least of which would be your recent ankle fiasco). I will make you caramel popcorn, but it will now have to wait until fall, because the humidity would make it just one big, gooey mass of soggy popcorn. That will give you something to look forward to alllll summer :)

      Delete
  8. Oh congrats on being cancer-free. I LOVED your t-shirt. As for staying in the lines, I'm pretty good at that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't get into much of the pink ribbon stuff, but I LOVE that shirt!

      What's better than a new box of crayons and a color sheet, anyway?

      Delete
  9. Great list. Coloring is a work of art almost as much as packing a car trunk. Thats a very valuable talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I make amazing use of the space I'm given in a car trunk. I attribute the skill to all those hours I played Tetris. It wasn't such a waste of time after all!

      Delete
  10. Oh, you are awesome....so awesome. Love the photo of you in that sassy t-shirt celebrating life. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am all about the power of positive thinking!

      Delete
  11. I am impressed and applauding many of these, esp #15, but I gotta say I cannot stop thinking about that caramel corn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Do I need to put you on the caramel corn waiting list?

      Delete
  12. See, with #14, you and I would be fast friends. I spend a good chunk of every day thinking about lunch! It's sort of a hobby.

    And congrats on #15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And, yeah, I'm not big on breakfast foods. And dinner means I have to cook it. That leaves lunch. 12:30 good for you?

      Delete
  13. Hooray for breast cancer survivors - I have two in my circle. LOVE your shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the shirt, too! I guess I should have listed my new boobies as one of my awesome traits, but I've devoted a lot of blog time to them already.

      Delete
  14. wow, so many awesome things!! i also tend to choose the slowest checkout line ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yeah, the checkout line thing is really a gift....

      Delete
  15. I used to have beautiful handwriting...then I became a nurse. ;) and I ALWAYS manage to choose the slow checkout lines too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also write very slowly, so I never would have made it as a nurse (like that's the only reason). And even after evaluating several checkout line options, I STILL manage to choose the slowest one. I'm that good.

      Delete
  16. Yay for surviving breast cancer! That one all alone makes you awesome! I'm also in awe of the fact that you can sew, read a map, follow directions, and pack a car trunk. All talents that I have successfully screwed up multiple times. However, I will be right behind you in the slowest checkout line. That's my best talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I learned to sew on my great aunt's treadle machine and can only go forwards and backwards, but I can turn out a decent costume. Map Skills via Weekly Reader in grade school. Tetris champ makes for trunk packer. The line thing is just bad luck.

      Delete