Sunday, October 20, 2024

Thankful I Didn't Die Trying To Eat A Candy Pumpkin and Other Thankfuls

It's Sunday scaries time, and that means it's also time to write my Ten Things of Thankful!

1. I was going through an old jewelry box of my mom's, a small one that held costume jewelry, mostly earrings and scarf pins, but when I pulled the last of the earrings from the little drawer, I found a bracelet I had never seen before:

It's gold plated with MMJ engraved on it



She had to have gotten it before she got married in 1956 because of the initials engraved on it. I'm so thankful I found it!

2. We had snappy cold weather this week, the kind you forget exist in when you're in the throws of summer and are sweating at 7:00 a.m. It was nice.

3. The trees are changing color, not as vividly as in years past, given they are so thirsty for rain, but when the late afternoon sun hits those trees and they look like they are on fire, that's fall. I love fall.

4. I'm thankful for kitty snuggles, especially after a weekend away from them (looking at you, Nora Pearl).

5. On Wednesday, I rescued a baby squirrel, and I'd be so pleased if you would read about it here so I don't have to tell the story again. I'm thankful, and I'm pretty sure he is, too.

6. I'm also thankful for squirrel updates from Sheryl (seriously, just read the post and catch up). He is THRIVING. She named him Barney; I call him Squirrely McSquirrel Squirrel. And yes, it's definitely a boy. People who know (i.e., Sheryl) can tell.

He's growing!!!


7. I'm continuing to rock the Walktober competition through my husband's employer. I already have 17 of 20 required "leaves" earned, and that means no more than three more days before I have earned enough leaves to get my $100 for the flex spending account! LITERALLY one step closer to those new glasses!

8. LOOK AT THESE AWESOME ACORNS I FOUND! I'm always looking for items (also knows as "loose parts") for play at preschool. Thanks to #7, above, my husband and I went for a walk and I discovered these beauties at the foot of the lake house driveway, between our house and the one next door. The tree is big and old, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how I never noticed these gigantic acorns before, but I'm so thankful I did! Not only are they enormous, they wear little hula skirts! The kids are going to have fun with them in the coming weeks!




9. I'm thankful for someone's rather poor art direction on the following sign:



If a picture is worth a thousand words, this one is worth a thousand laughs. And I think I'll pass on that one way wagon ride.

10. I could have died Saturday. It was a close one. I was eating candy pumpkins on my way to Aldi (unfortunately, not the same bag of candy pumpkins I was thankful for last week; those are history and I bought another bag). I parked the car, grabbed one more candy pumpkin and a quarter for a grocery cart, and as I got out of the car, I popped what I thought was the candy pumpkin into my mouth but instead was the quarter. Fortunately, I have terrible aim and the quarter bounced off my lip, but what happened to the candy pumpkin? It wasn't in the car. It didn't fall down my shirt. Hmmm. I went into Aldi, got my groceries, and when I returned to the car, I saw a lonely, little, candy pumpkin languishing on the parking lot by my front tire. 




Had I not missed with the quarter, I may have needed that wagon ride after all!

The Ten Things of Thankful comes your way every weekend. Join us!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

1 comment: