1. Fall is really trying to show up down here in the armpit of the Ozarks. It was still 90 degrees today, but there was a relatively cool breeze and the air just FEELS different, somehow. My favorite time of year starts when high school football season starts and continues until the presents are opened on Christmas Day. Then I'm done, but it's a good 4 month run of delightfulness until then!
2. I'm getting better at telling the identical twins apart in my classroom. The ones in my primary class are the hardest, because they are very quiet and I don't have any vocal cues to help me out. The pair in my pre-k class are much easier (and not because they don't look as much alike, because they DO), although I called one of them the wrong name TWICE today and had to give her two pieces of candy for it (me and my big mouth - I told them if I called them the wrong name, they would get a piece of candy). And in my defense, the first time, she was standing next to her sister's chair, and her sister was on the other side of the room (and neither of them were quite where they were supposed to be), so I don't think that one was my fault. The second one, I will concede, was TOTALLY my fault. But I paid up for both.
3. My darling friend Lizzi is going to run a 5k for Race for Life in honor of me! And it's only three weeks away. And I don't think she's run more than five feet in her entire life, and here she's going to do a 5k. FOR ME and for everyone else affected by cancer. If you feel led to donate to her cause, here's the link: http://
4. The Freshman Lady Eagle Volleyball team remains undefeated in regular season play, although they did lose two games in a tournament (tournaments don't really count, but apparently, neither do freshmen anyway, which is sad that no one at their school really knows or cares how awesome they are). And when you consider these girls came together from three different middle schools, having never played together as a team before, well, just WAIT until they are on Varsity.
|Go big or go home.|
5. And speaking of the Freshman team, they were all at my house on Monday night for dinner (they've been going to a different teammate's home each week). They inhaled two pans of lasagna, plus salad, bread sticks and dessert. They giggled and ate and ran through my house screaming. They all piled into the same chair on top of their coach. They farted like a bunch of boys. They talked about boys and volleyball and school. And they were delightful.
6. We had apple slices dipped in caramel sauce for snack one day this week in the primary class. I had forgotten just how delish that is! And it's a healthy snack, right? I mean, it's APPLES. An apple a day and all that, you know.
7. I made chocolate chip cookies this week, primarily so I could eat the dough. I'm not that big a fan of the finished product, but oh, that dough!
8. On a quest to buy a Missouri State University t-shirt this week, I was in a store that had - wait for it - BOBBIE BROOKS JEANS. This is for you, Jak!
|Still not going to dribble them off.|
9. It's been a lovely week for compliments! Of course, there's the one I got this week from the preschooler (please read about it here if you haven't already - it was quite a compliment!). All my Facebook friends who read my blog are very kind to me, but this particular comment, from someone I went to high school with, humbled me so :
"...your writing does so many things.
It makes me smile, and laugh, and think;
it makes me grateful. Sometimes it makes me sad.
But it always -- always -- touches my heart."
10. I have a washer and dryer in my basement. My bedrooms are on the second floor. It's two flights of stairs, plus walks down two long hallways to get my laundry from the second floor to the basement. But that's okay. Because sometimes, I seem to have some difficulty completing the entire wash and dry sequence. In other words, I forget (or, if I'm really honest here, completely blow off out of laziness) the load that's in the washer and have to rewash it. Sometimes more than once. If I had to put quarters in a machine, well, I don't even want to go there.
THIS IS A LINK UP, MY BLOGGY FRIENDS! Write a post listing YOUR Ten Things of Thankful and link it up below. Those of you who have been thinking about joining us, quit rewashing that same load of laundry and write that post! (You know who you are. Don't make me name names.)
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I can say mama, I Want Backsies, Rewritten, Steps into Parenthood, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine